School Internet Filtering
The Global Chalkboard provides customized school Internet filtering using a number of disparate techniques. These techniques can be applied to various elements of your network in a customized and unique manner, depending on your needs. School Internet filtering can be customized and assigned to individual workstations or ranges of local IP addresses, user names (or other identity elements such as workstation names or organizational membership), or defined groups of workstations or users. The following filtering techniques are utilized:
Dynamic URL Categorization
- The Global Chalkboard's powerful Web site filter automatically categorizes and continually updates over 25 million sites in over 90 comprehensive categories. Access to these categories can be permitted or blocked, allowing it to be fine-tuned for each computer.
- In addition to categorizing known Internet proxies through our URL category list, the Global Chalkboard examines suspicious-looking URLs to determine if the network client is attempting to circumvent its filter by use of a proxy.
- The Global Chalkboard can optionally enforce "Safe Search" levels within popular search engines.
- The collaborative aspects of social media have made it an effective management tool, so you may want to provide your administrators with access to these sites. Now, with the Global Chalkboard's built-in social media filtering and Facebook filtering, access to Web 2.0 interactive sites can be safely and selectively provided.
Safe-Search for Google Images and Search Engine Cache
- The Global Chalkboard can also apply Web content filtering policies to Google's image search by examining the destination of the image thumbnails, further protecting users from inappropriate content that is otherwise difficult for traditional school Internet filtering tools to detect.
File & Extension Blocking
- The Global Chalkboard also permits selective blocking of specific files and file types. This provides control over the type of content clients can download. System Administrators can also set exception rules to allow specific files or file type downloads only from specific sites.
Streaming Media Blocking
- Blocks all types of streaming media, while allowing a user to selectively permit focused media content.
- The Global Chalkboard Video Selector™ is a robust school Internet filtering feature that enables educators to safely allow a specific YouTube video or channel and its related page content, while blocking access to other videos.
Instant Messenger Blocking
- Blocks most popular types of instant messenger clients on a profile basis.
Granular Web Site Control
- In addition to URL categorization, the Global Chalkboard enables the built-in filtering techniques to be overridden by permitting a defined list of allowed or blocked exceptions. The granularity of this can be as wide as an entire domain name, or as narrow as a specific page.
Flexible User Discretion
- The Global Chalkboard features flexible discretion that permits an educator to allow an entire filter category or certain sites from within a filter category that may be blocked for the rest of the school.
Block HTTPS Traffic
- This feature gives System Administrators the ability to filter access to all sites with encrypted Web traffic while also having the ability to allow specific encrypted sites. This provides another layer of protection from non-legitimate, https proxy sites.
Remote Global Chalkboard Administration
- System Administrators have the flexibility of securely managing the Global Chalkboard from any location.
Mobile Filtering and Protection from External WiFi Signals
- With the use of laptops in schools and the increasing availability of WiFi access from within a school, it has become increasingly more important that student Internet access be filtered, whether inside or outside of the building. With the Global Chalkboard's Mobile Filtering, when a student is working on a laptop in school, the same school Internet filtering policies are enforced on that laptop when it leaves the building, regardless of what network they are on.
Learn More About BASCOM's School Internet Filtering Solutions
BASCOM's school Internet filtering and Web lesson tools unite technology with instruction. Join the hundreds of schools and libraries around the country that are currently using our technology to facilitate student achievement. To learn more, view a webinar, fill out a contact form or call us today at 1-888-922-2726 to schedule your personal demo.